Frequently asked questions about studying (FAQs)

Before you start studying, during your studies, and even after you have submitted your thesis, questions may arise. Before you contact the Student Advisory Service with your question, please first check whether you can find the right information in the FAQ. Many questions can already be answered here. At the very beginning of your studies, the glossary will help you to understand the most important terms related to your studies. We also recommend that you take a look at the legal basics of studying at TUM at the beginning of your studies. Have fun clicking through!


Coronavirus: FAQs on Studies, Teaching and Exams

Here you can find current information about the effects of the current restrictions in university operations due to the spread of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 on studies and teaching at TUM.



At university, there is a whole new vocabulary and many abbreviations that you should familiarize yourself with. You will find the most important terms for the start of your studies explained in this glossary


There are clear rules for studying at TUM. We highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with these legal principles at the beginning of your studies. Please see here for explanations of the most important legal framework.
The Academic and Examination Regulations (in German: Fachprüfungs- und Studienordnung, abbreviated FPSO) for your degree program can be found on the website of your degree program in the section “Examination Matters”. The Academic and Examination Regulations of all degree programs are based on the General Academic and Examination Regulations of the TUM (in German: Allgemeine Prüfungs- und Studienordnung, APSO; most recent and legally binding version in German.The statutes on enrollment, re-enrollment, leave of absence and withdrawal.govern large parts of your student life that are not directly related to your degree program.
In addition, there are further statutes and general legal information about studying that you should have read.


Application & Admission

If you are still looking for the right degree program for you at the TUM School of Life Sciences, find out more here:

There are degree programs at the TUM School of Life Sciences with different types of admission:

See here an overview which admission type applies to the individual degree programs at the TUM School of Life Sciences. 

Application and application deadlines
Here, you can find general information about the application and application deadlines.
Here, the most frequently asked questions about applying to and studying at TUM are answered.

Important terms briefly explained:
Application: For each degree program, an application must be submitted via the TUMonline applicant portal. Details on the required documents and the application procedure can be found on the respective program website under "How to apply for a study place".
Admission: Once you have been admitted to a study place, you must accept the admission offer in your TUMonline account. Only then can the enrollment take place.
Enrollment: After you have been admitted to the university and you have accepted the admission, the next step is enrollment. For this, you must submit documents in a certain form, for example as a certified copy, by post or in person. In addition, you must transfer the semester fee on time. You will see in your TUMonline account which documents we need as soon as you have been admitted and have accepted your admission. Here, you find further information on enrollment.
You can only register for courses, access online teaching materials and take examinations once you are enrolled. Other student services such as the library, semester ticket, cafeteria, etc. can only be used after enrollment. After successful enrollment, you can apply for the Student Card in the "my TUM-Card" application in TUMonline.
If you have general questions about applying to TUM or about the application documents to be submitted, you can contact the service desk of the Central Student Advisory Service via

For the application of some of our Master's programs with an aptitude test, you need a program-specific curricular analysis. You can find out whether a curricular analysis is required for the degree program you are aiming for in the subject examination and study regulations (FPSO) of the degree program. The curricular analysis is a questionnaire derived from the transcript of records and is a review of the achievements and skills that you have acquired in your previous studies. On the basis of this curricular analysis, the committee assesses your suitability for the Master's program. The evaluation is based on the core competencies of the corresponding bachelor program of the TUM School of Life Sciences.

Before you can start the curricular analysis, you have to apply online in TUMonline, because you need an application number. You will receive the link to the curricular analysis in your application portal. After registering for the program-specific curricular analysis, you will automatically receive an e-mail with a code that you can use to start the curricular analysis.


Please see here for information on the aptitude assessment procedure (EfV) for Bachelor's degree programs.


Here, you find information on the aptitude assessment (EV) for Master's programs.

All students are required to have health insurance in Germany. You cannot be enrolled without proof of a recognized health insurance. Here, you can find all information about compulsory health insurance.

Find out here, what international applicants need to be aware of.
If you are applying for a Bachelor's degree program and have a foreign university entrance qualification (General Higher Education Entrance Qualification) or if you are applying for a Master's degree program and you have not acquired your Master's entrance qualification (e.g. Bachelor's degree) in a country of the EU/EEC or Switzerland, you must have your application documents pre-checked in advance by the University Application Service for International Students (uni-assist e.V.). You will then receive a so-called pre-check documentation (in German: Vorprüfungsdokumentation, VPD) from uni-assist, which is a mandatory part of your application documents.
Here, you can look up details on how to apply for pre-check documentation and on the work of uni-assist.
You do not need a pre-check documentation (VPD) if you are applying to a double degree program.

Degree programs with a numerus clausus (NC) have a fixed number of study places, which are mainly awarded on the basis of the Abitur / General Higher Education Entrance Qualification grade and waiting time. Currently, there are no degree programs with NC at the TUM School of Life Sciences.

Depending on the degree program, you may be required to provide proof of English or German language proficiency when applying. Only certain language certificates are accepted at TUM.
In some degree programs, the respective Academic and Examination Regulations regulate alternative proof of English language skills, e.g. the training language in the Bachelor's program or proof of a certain number of credits in English-language modules. Please check what applies to your degree program.

On this website, you find information on the Study Orientation Procedure (SOV) for Bachelor's degree programs.

Some master's programs offer the possibility to study part-time. Here, you can find out for which degree programs studying part time is possible.
You can find information about the respective effects of part-time study on study duration, study progress control and other deadlines in the respective Academic and Examination Regulations on the degree program website under the item "Examination Matters".

You have been offered a place at TUM, but now you don't want to take it up? Here, you can find out what you need to know:
Reserving your spot
Withdrawing from studies
Here, you can find information in which cases the reimbursement of the semester fee is possible. 

For international students, there are a few things to consider before entering Germany.
Please check the website of the German Foreign Office to find out whether you are subject to a visa requirement. If this is the case, please contact the German Embassy or the Consulate General in your country.
A ToDo list for the preparation of your stay in Germany will help you to clarify what you should take care of immediately after your admission.

Student Advisory Service

Our student advisors are happy to support prospective and current students with any questions they may have before and during their studies. They will help you with information on the range of courses on offer, on transfer from other programs and will provide support in clarifying study-related questions and problems.
When contacting your student advisor via email, please always include your full name and ideally also your matriculation number. Please use a meaningful subject and send the e-mail from your e-mail address.

Other counseling services at TUM:
The General Student Advisory Service at TUM can also help you in many cases, especially when it comes to administrative questions about re-registration or semester fees.
In addition, there is an extensive range of contact and advice services at TUM on topics relevant to studying:

External offers:
The Munich Student Union (in German: Studierendenwerk) offers with its advisory network a contact point to many areas such as general and social counseling, student coaching, psychotherapeutic and psychosocial counseling, scholarship counseling, student loan counseling, general BAfög counseling, counseling for students with disabilities and/or chronic diseases, counseling for pregnant women and students with children, counseling center for sexual harassment, discrimination and violence, and legal counseling.
The Crisis Intervention Team (KIT) Munich provides care, counseling, and accompaniment after severe emotional stress or acute psychological shock, triggered by unforeseen events.

Studying places high demands on your learning skills. If you want to improve your self-motivation, your self- and time management or your scientific work, then use the offers of TUM ProLehre or our coaching offers.

Combining studies and family responsibilities is a special challenge. TUM would like to support its students in successfully completing their studies and at the same time being able to be there for their family. Here, you can find contact persons and important information:

If you are looking for the scholarship that is right for you, find out more about TUM scholarships and other scholarship programs, awards and competitions.

Studying costs money. If you can't pay for rent, food and semester fees on your own or with the support of your parents, you have various options for financing your studies - from BAföG and taking out a student loan to a part-time job or a scholarship. BAföG refers to the law regulating financial support for students at secondary schools or universities. We have summarized all the information and contact points on the topic of student financing for you.


Topics for theses can usually be found on the websites of the chairs or you can ask your lecturers directly which topics for theses they are currently offering.
Here, you can find all important information about deadlines, template for the title page, registration and submission of your thesis.
The registration and submission of your thesis is done via the thesis portal of the TUM School of Life Sciences.
Do you need individual advice on writing English or German texts? Then you can find help here: Successful theses
For the preparation of your thesis you should follow the rules of Good Scientific Practice

If a "general education subject" or "interdisciplinary competencies" are included in your study plan, you can usually take courses from the TUM Language Center, the Carl von Linde-Academy or UnternehmerTUM. Many courses are already listed in the curriculum of your degree program.
If you are in doubt as to whether a particular course that is not listed in your curriculum can be accepted as a "general education subject", contact your student advisor. You can of course also take further courses as additional subjects.

The Academic and Examination Regulations of your degree program regulate which achievements can be included in this degree program in a way that is relevant to your transcript of records. In certain cases, you can also apply for additional subjects, usually as electives. Here, you find the regulations of the TUM School of Life Sciences for the recognition of credits/achievements that you have completed before or during your current studies and that you want to bring into your current degree program. 
Please also note the following information on credit recognition.

If you see a red "EN" in your study account in TUMonline, then it is strongly recommended to contact your student advisor. Final failure (in German: endgültiges Nichtbestehen, EN) means that an examination required according to the Academic and Examination Regulations of your degree program has finally not been passed (see also Fundamentals and Orientation Examination / GOP). It is also possible that you have not completed the number of credits required by the study progress control by the end of a particular semester. If the "EN" lights up red, it is no longer possible for you to register for examinations in your degree program.
You will receive a notice of final failure and you will be disenrolled from the university at the end of the semester in which the final failure is determined. You will lose your right to take examinations and will not be able to complete your studies.
Final failure implies that at TUM and other German universities you are generally no longer allowed to take up a degree program that is related to the degree program you have not successfully completed. You can find information on this in the Academic and Examination Regulations of a degree program.
Withdrawal due to final failure can have far-reaching consequences, e.g. for health insurance or BAföG.  

Withdrawal means the termination of your status as a student when you leave the university. Withdrawal from the university occurs automatically at the end of the semester, in which the final graduation documents are issued if you are still enrolled at the time the documents are issued. Withdrawal occurs by virtue of law; an application for withdrawal is not necessary in this case.
Alternatively, you can also apply for withdrawal. You can find the corresponding application in your TUMonline account under the menu item "Printouts for students". The withdrawal upon application will generally take place at the end of the semester in which you submit the application. However, you can also apply for withdrawal with immediate effect (day of application) or on a date determined by you (not retroactively). This may be necessary, for example, when you start your first job.
However, withdrawal can also be forced due to final failure or due to lack of timely re-registration for further studies.
As a general rule, you must be enrolled in order to complete an examination or course work. This applies in particular to the final thesis, for which you must be enrolled in the corresponding degree program during the entire handling time until the day of submission. This also applies if the handling time has been extended for reasons for which you are not responsible.
The only exception of the above general rule: Examinations up to and including the first week of the lecture period count towards the examination period of the previous semester. For examinations in this period, there is no obligation to re-register if you were enrolled in the previous semester. This also applies to an obligatory colloquium or presentation as part of the final thesis.

Modules that are not part of your curriculum can be taken as additional courses. Additional courses that are not relevant to your curriculum are listed on a separate sheet of your transcript of records. They are not included in the calculation of your final grade. Completed achievements cannot be deleted from the transcript of records, even if they are an additional subject.

If you have missed important deadlines for valid reasons or are unable to pass the study progress control due to a case of hardship, you can submit a written request for a deadline suspension or deadline extension to the Board of Examination.
According to the legal requirements, a request for hardship can only be granted if the delay in your studies is caused by reasons for which you are not responsible and which could not have been foreseen. These are usually serious, prolonged illness, accidents, taking care of unexpectedly ill close relatives or other serious unexpected strokes of fate in your family. Such a hardship application can only be submitted to the examination board if you have a problem with your study progress. The application must be accompanied by appropriate evidence, such as medical certificates. However, you can also send the relevant documents to your examination board as a precautionary measure when the valid reasons arise, with the request to take note of them so that they are already available, and you can refer to them in case of a problem.
The decision about your request lies with the Board of Examination. We strongly recommend to talk to your student advisor before submitting this request.
In the case of a semester-related deadline suspension, the study progress control is suspended once, but the semester counting according to examination regulations continues. In the following semester, you are in the next subject-related semester and must therefore achieve the regular number of credits specified in §10 APSO and §38 FPSO.
In the case of a study-related deadline extension, the progress check is suspended once, but there is a permanent deferral of the student by one semester under examination law in terms of the study progress control and the standard period of study.
On this website, you can find the form for requesting a deadline suspension or extension.  (Attention: This form cannot be displayed/edited in the browser. The form must first be saved locally or opened in an external program such as AdobeReader. See upper right: "View with other program or save document").

The Fundamentals and Orientation Examination (in German: Grundlagen- und Orientierungsprüfung, abbreviated “GOP”), if they are provided for in the Academic and Examination Regulations (FPSO) of your degree program, determine whether you have the basic knowledge for the subject and are suitable for the degree program. There are special rules for the GOP, e.g. you are automatically registered for the examinations on a compulsory basis. You only have a limited number of examination attempts - usually only two attempts. In your FPSO it is regulated which module examinations or how many credits have to be taken in your degree program within the GOP until the end of which semester. See also APSO §2(1), §10(2), §14(2), §15(2), §24(6).

Illness during the examination period
If you are unable to take part in one or more examinations due to illness, it is advisable to submit an application for withdrawal from the examination to the Board of Examination. You must attach a medical certificate to the application form for withdrawal from the examination and submit it to the Campus Office immediately after the occurrence of the illness. A certificate of incapacity for work is not sufficient. Be aware, that the medical certificate must meet minimum requirements.  
If the Board of Examination has received a request for withdrawal from the examination, it can take this into account when checking the student's progress (study progress control) and, if necessary, grant a student's request for a suspension of the deadline.
Illness for a longer period of time
If you can foresee that the illness or the treatment will last so long that the greater part of the lecture time of a semester will be taken up, it is advisable to apply for a leave of absence for reasons of illness. Also in this case you have to prove the illness and/or treatment by a medical certificate, which gives information about the expected duration of the prescribed treatment. If necessary, the Board of Examination may require that you submit a certificate from a TUM medical officer.

Illness during lecture period
Attendance is compulsory in very few courses. So if you miss a lecture due to illness, it is up to you to work through the missed content yourself. Your fellow students will be happy to help you.
For exercises or practical courses, the module description may stipulate that these are not passed if a certain number of days or hours have been missed. In this case, you may have to repeat the entire course at a later date. Therefore, it is best to find out from the respective module coordinator or lecturer when the exercise or practical course will be offered for the next time.
If the exercise or practical course is conducted in groups, fairness dictates that you inform your group members, and preferably the course leader, of your absence due to illness.

In order to participate in courses, you must register for the courses via TUMonline. Only if you are registered, the lecturers can contact you and send you current information about the course. In addition, you will only have access to the online course materials once you have registered for the course. The course dates are published in TUMonline.
Please note that modules often consist of several courses and you may have to register for each course individually. For some courses, the number of participants is limited or you have to fulfill certain requirements that are checked during the registration process. Therefore, register for the courses in good time and observe the registration periods and deadlines.
Some modules appear in different places in your Curriculum Support (study tree). For example, the same module can be either an elective module or a compulsory elective module in your degree program or belong to different specializations. Register for the courses and later for the examinations at the right place in the Curriculum Support.
In the video channel of the TUM IT Service Center you will find instructions on how to register for courses.

If you would like to have an overview of your achievements so far, then click on the item "Transcripts" in your TUMonline account. There you can download and print out an examination report or a grade report for all the work you have done so far. Please note that your examination report lists all examinations you have registered for, including those you have not passed. Your grade report/transcript of records, on the other hand, lists only the examinations you have passed. The final grade report is called transcript of records (ToR).
In the video channel of the TUM IT Service Center you can find a tutorial for printing the examination or grade report. 

Tip: If you have achievements, which you can see in your grade report, but not in your Curriculum Support in TUMonline, click on “Show inact. nodes” in the menu in the upper right corner of the Curriculum Support. What is always decisive is what is written in the grade report.

In examinations at TUM, consideration is given to the type and severity of a possible illness, impairment or disability. You can apply for compensation for disadvantages at the Board of Examination of your degree program. You should apply for compensation for disadvantages as early as possible: Right at the beginning of your studies, if the impairment is already present or as soon as an impairment arises during your studies. See here for information on compensation for disadvantages and the application form for compensation for disadvantages in examinations.

In some degree programs, the completion of an (external) internship before or during the degree program is mandatory. Detailed requirements for the mandatory internships can be found in the Academic and Examination Regulations (FPSO) and the module handbook of your degree program. Depending on the degree program, the Internship Office and/or the respective Board of Examination will decide whether internships completed earlier can be recognized. In some degree programs, voluntary internships can be included as an elective module, for example. Please consult the Academic and Examination Regulations or your student advisor if you have questions about this.

If you would like to complete a longer internship during the lecture period, please inform yourself about the regulations regarding leave of absence.

As a rule, each module has a module examination. The examination dates are published in TUMonline. A module examination can be a single examination in which the course contents of all courses belonging to the module are examined. A module examination can also consist of partial examinations, the results of which are combined to form the overall module grade. You will only receive credits for a module if all examinations of that module have been passed. As a rule, failed examinations can be repeated several times, as long as you meet the requirements of the study progress control (link to keyword). Exceptions to this rule are regulated by the respective Academic and Examination Regulations of your degree program, e.g. for the Fundamentals and Orientation Examination (GOP). Passed examinations cannot be repeated in order to improve the grade.
If you influence the result of an examination by cheating or using unauthorized aids, the examination in question will be graded "unsatisfactory" and may only be repeated once (see APSO §22 and §24(6)). Plagiarism is also considered as attempted cheating. In serious cases or in the case of repeated cheating, the Board of Examination may exclude you from taking further examinations in this degree program, so that you have definitively failed the degree program in question.
You can find your examination results in your TUMonline account under "My achievements".

Registration for examinations:
We recommend that you register for examinations via the study plan in Curriculum Support in your TUMonline account. This ensures that the examination belongs to your degree program and that the examination is assigned to the correct subject group.   
In the video channel of the TUM IT Service Center you can find a tutorial on how to register for examinations.
Please note that there are binding registration and deregistration deadlines that you must adhere to. You can find these deadlines in the information about the respective examination in TUMonline. Please also consider the information about registering and cancelling examinations.
Notification of Examination Results:
After each semester, you will receive an official Notification of Examination Results from the Graduation Office and Academic Records (GO). You will be informed by e-mail that your Notification of Examination Results is available for download in TUMonline. This notification lists the results of all examinations you have taken up to the time the notification was issued and informs you about your rights and obligations. Please read your Notification of Examination Results immediately and carefully. This way you can check whether your examination and study achievements have been correctly recorded in TUMonline. If this is not the case, please contact your student advisor.
Please see here for more information about publication of grades and Notification of Examination Results.

At TUM, there is a Board of Examination for each degree program, a committee made up of university professors and lecturers of the degree program. The Board of Examination is responsible for hardship and special case applications in connection with examinations and study progress control as well as for the recognition of examination and study achievements.
You can find the name of the chairperson of the Board of Examination on the website of your degree program in the section "Examination Matters".
If you want to submit an application to the Board of Examination, it is usually helpful to talk to your student advisor beforehand. Applications to the Board of Examination are accepted by the secretary and submitted to the Board of Examination for decision. You can contact the secretary via the e-mail address Your e-mail should contain your full name, your student number, your degree program and a clear description of your request. Depending on the concern, certificates or further supporting documents should be attached. Please inform yourself about further topics concerning examination law here in the FAQ, e.g. under the headings Examination Withdrawal, Illness in Studies, Deadline Suspension or Deadline Extension, Final Failure.

As a rule, you can deregister from an examination yourself in TUMonline up to a certain deadline. However, this does not apply to Fundamentals and Orientation Examination (GOP). If you are unable to take an examination for reasons beyond your control (e.g. illness), you must immediately submit a written request for withdrawal from the examination to the Campus Office. Here, you can find the withdrawal form and further information.

As a rule, the thesis (or the associated final presentation) is the last examination in your degree program. Provided that you have also completed all other examinations and coursework, you can initiate the preparation of your graduation documents (transcript of records, certificate, diploma supplement). You find details on the graduation process in our student wiki (login with TUM ID required).

At TUM there is a study progress control. With this, TUM checks whether you have completed a defined number of achievements (credits) in your degree program by the specified deadlines. The deadlines and the scope are regulated in §10 of the General Examination and Study Regulations (APSO) and in §38 of the respective Academic and Examination Regulations of your degree program (FPSO).
If you do not comply with the requirements of the study progress control of your degree program, the achievements not yet completed will be considered as finally failed, which will lead to your withdrawal.
If you are afraid of having problems with the study progress control, please contact your student advisor in time (!). Your student advisor can discuss with you whether and if so, which options you have to avert a possible withdrawal.

You can find the timetable for most of the courses in your degree program in our wiki (login with TUM ID required). Please note, however, that not all elective modules of your degree program are listed in the timetable. You can use TUMonline to create a semester-by-semester schedule according to your FPSO.
You can find instructions on how to create your personal timetable or semester plan in our wiki (login with TUM ID required) or in the video channel of the TUM IT Service Center:

The student workload in time hours forms the basis for the allocation of credits to modules. The following applies: 1 credit corresponds to 30 hours of student workload. The student workload is made up of attendance at courses (attendance times) and self-study times. This includes preparation and follow-up time, examination preparation as well as the preparation of presentations, homework and project work and e-learning units.
Stating the student workload in credits is intended to make the student workload transparent for all involved and to ensure that the program can be studied within the specified number of semesters. Thus, the target number of 30 credits per semester corresponds to a total workload of 900 hours per semester. Assuming 46 weeks of study, with 6 weeks of vacation per year, this means an average weekly work time of approximately 39 hours.


If you are planning a semester abroad or an internship abroad, then inform yourself here about the various offers and the general framework:

If you want to take a break from your studies for important reasons, this is called a leave of absence. There are many aspects of a leave of absence, which you should take into account: possible reasons for a leave of absence, examination/legal aspects, when a leave of absence is not recommended, the application for a leave of absence, application deadlines and all other information about a leave of absence.
If you would like to take a leave of absence to complete a voluntary internship, you will need a statement from your student advisor. Therefore, please contact your student advisor in time.

All communication from TUM will be sent exclusively to your TUM e-mail address. Please set up your personal TUM e-mail address right at the beginning of your studies (usual pattern: and use this e-mail address within TUM. In this way, you can be sure that you will receive e-mails from the lecturers, the Student Advisory Services, the Campus Office, the Central Examination Office etc. Avoid using a private e-mail address.
On the following websites, you find instructions on how to set up the email address in your TUMonline account:

You can also have a look at a tutorial on the video channel of the TUM IT Service Center.

Important emergency numbers:    

Fire brigade and rescue services: 112
Poisoning emergency number: 089-19240
Police: 110

You witness an accident or get into an emergency situation yourself? In Germany, it is not only a moral but also a legal duty to help people in distress. In such situations, the most important thing is to stay calm - and provide help if necessary or, if in doubt, call for help via the emergency number 112.

General information about first aid and what to do at the scene of an accident can be found, for example, at the German Red Cross.
If it has been a while since your last first aid course, you can refresh your knowledge at any time - for example, in one of the first aid courses of the German Red Cross, Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund, Malteser or Johanniter.

For many laboratory internships, project work, Bachelor's or Master's theses, laboratory insurance must be taken out.

You are required to register at your new place of residence (city, municipality) within 14 days.

You can easily find the relevant registration office (in German: Bürgerbüro) for your city or municipality via an internet search engine using the search terms "Bürgerbüro <name of your city/municipality>".

At the end of your studies, you should print out a social security certificate for the pension insurance. You may need it later. Here is explained where to find the social security certificate.

Here you can access the most important dates and deadlines about the division of the semester, the lecture period, the semester breaks, holidays, deadlines for applications, leave of absence, enrollment, re-enrollment and payment of semester fees (link to keyword) as well as dates for the Student Representative Assembly (FVV) and Student General Assembly (SVV).

TUMonline is the campus management system of TUM and will accompany you throughout your studies. Please familiarize yourself with its functions at the beginning of your studies.
In the video channel of the TUM IT Service Center you will find a series of tutorials explaining various important functions in TUMonline.
Please find here more instructions about TUMonline.

TUM offers you a wide range of university sports. You can find all the information on the website of the University Sports Center Munich.

In the job board of the TUM School of Life Sciences you can find internships, job offers from companies, working student jobs, jobs for scientific/student assistants (in German often called “HiWi”) and much more. If you don't find what you are looking for there, then search the other TUM job boards:

Many chairs offer HiWi jobs. You can find them either online on the websites of the chairs, on the bulletin boards of the respective chairs or in the cafeteria.

If you want to start or continue your studies at TUM, you must have paid the semester fee in full by the respective deadline. The semester fee consists of the basic fee for the Munich Student Union and the solidarity fee for the basic semester ticket.
If you do not re-enrol for your studies on time, you will be disenrolled from the university at the end of the semester, according to the provisions of §10 of the Statutes on Matriculation, Continued Enrollment, Leave of Absence and Withdrawal (ImmatS). Only when the semester fee has been received on the TUM account will you be re-enrolled for the following semester and can then print out your study papers (proof of enrollment, study progress certificate) for the coming semester and register for courses or examinations.
See here for information about tuition fees and payment deadlines
View the current status of your payments in TUMonline
Reimbursement of the semester fee can only be made under certain conditions.

There is a basic semester ticket for students of the TUM and other Munich universities. The costs are already included in your semester fee. The ticket is valid for the subway, the S-Bahn, as well as all streetcars, buses and some regional trains in the entire network of the Munich Transport Association (MVV). You get a time-limited basic ticket. In addition, you can buy the “IsarCard Semester”, which allows you to travel around the clock.

The Munich Student Union (in German: Studierendenwerk München) takes care of the economic, social, health and cultural support of students. Important services offered by the Student Union are:

Studying brings many challenges with it. At TUM you will find support and many offers if you want to do something for your physical and mental health.

Finding accommodation in the greater Munich area is not easy. In Munich and Freising, the Munich Student Union offers affordable rooms and apartments for students. On the following pages you will find information about the dormitories in Freising, information for international exchange students and housing portals popular among students: