In their publications, scientists cite the most important articles that have appeared to date on the respective topic. The frequency of citations is therefore a good indicator of the quality and global recognition of a research paper and its authors. The "Web of Science" database, in which the US company Clarivate Analytics records scientific publications from a wide range of subjects, is used to determine the "Highly Cited Researchers" once a year.
The current edition of the ranking shows the researchers who were cited most frequently in their respective fields from 2012 to 2022. Researchers who have been cited frequently in different fields are listed in the "Cross-Field" category. In total, the list includes around 7,000 people in no particular order. Most of the researchers of the TUM School of Life Sciences belong to the cross-field category, they are
- Prof. Dr. Ingrid Kögel-Knabner, Chair of Soil Science
- Prof. Dr. Bernhard Küster, Chair of Proteomics and Bioanalytics
- Prof. Dr. Melanie Schirmer, Professorship of Translational Microbiome Data Integration
- Prof. Dr. Rupert Seidl, Chair of Ecosystem Dynamics and Forest Management in Mountain Landscapes
Prof. Dr. Fabian Theis, Chair of Mathematical Models of Biological Systems, was also ranked in the field of biology and biochemistry.
The remaining researchers at the TU Munich include:
- Prof. Dr. Bernhard Hemmer, Clinic for Neurology, Klinikum rechts der Isar
- Prof. Dr. Josef Priller, Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Klinikum rechts der Isar
- Prof. Dr. Mikael Simons, Chair of Molecular Neurobiology
- Prof. Dr. Fabian Theis, Chair of Mathematical Modelling of Biological Systems
- Prof. Dr. Xiaoxiang Zhu, Chair of Data Science in Earth Observation
- Prof. Dr. Matthias Eiber, Clinic for Nuclear Medicine, Klinikum rechts der Isar
- Prof. Dr. Stefan Leucht, Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Klinikum rechts der Isar
In addition, Prof. Laura Herz is among the Highly Cited Researchers in the Cross-Field category. The University of Oxford physicist is currently a fellow at the TUM Institute for Advanced Study.